Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Paper Bag Mini-Album

Years ago I used to teach kids how to make paper lunch bags into all sorts of things, including scrapbooks.  I would always start a sample, but never really finish it because it was just a sample to show them the concept and I didn't want to give them something they would try to copy.  I would hole punch the binding and lace it together using yarn.  Well the other day I had my sewing machine out and decided it might be fun to try making a mini-album out of paper bags similar to the ones I made with the kids.


I used an overlock stitch to bind together three folded bags.   The stitch messed up a little from going through the thick layers, but I like the haphazard look it created.  I alternated the bags directions so the flaps and openings of the bags would be mixed up to create a more interesting booklet of pages.


Since the bag openings make great pockets, I knew I wanted to put something in them.  I found some tulle left over from a tutu I made for Lucy and I sewed a picture on an index card to give it some stability and tulle on the end of it that sticks out of the pocket for decoration.  This album was made out of three bags, therefore it has three pockets and three picture/tulle cards.


To sew the pictures directly onto the bag pages I used a basic straight stitch about an quarter inch off the edge.  Under the flaps I have written a few words about the pictures on the pages or general characteristics of Lucy  inspired by the photos.  I used some decorative rub-on transfers and letters for the cover and to add thematic color to the pages.


I'm not completely finished with this album. I still need pictures for two of the pages,  but I was so excited about it and how it is shaping up that I just couldn't wait to share it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice use of paper to make mini paper bag album, great idea you developed and shown your creativity. We also want to share some knowledge with you regarding these paper bags, actually we are the manufacturers as well as suppliers of paper bag making machines, paper napkin making machine, slitting and rewinding machine, flexographic printing machine etc.

    ReplyDelete