Sunday, March 10, 2013

We're Starting a Garden!

Several years ago I tried container gardening with a couple tomato and pepper plants. It didn't turn out well. My yard was too shady and I always forgot to water it.  I don't recall if we even got it to bear fruit, but I did leave the pot outside in the winter and it cracked.

This year I am really motivated to give it a try again! We are in a different house and I've really been watching the yard for where the best sunlight is. I've also decided to try starting from seed.

Instead of buying the seed starting trays, I am using halved toilet paper tubes in pans. Possibly a recipe for disaster, but if it doesn't work I guess I'll just go buy plants at the local nursery!
So far I have planted cucumbers, mini- bell peppers, a variety of hot peppers, and a tray of mixed lettuce. I have them setup in the basement. It's probably not warm enough down there, but it does get a good bit of sunlight through the windows.


I have seeds for beans, purple carrots, and spinach also, but I ran out of starting containers. I think I'll also buy some small tomato plants when it is time to move everything outside... I hope it warms up soon!






1 comment:

  1. So cool! I hope to plant some Chinese vegetables this year, but we'll see if that actually happens... =)

    ReplyDelete