Saturday, May 19, 2012

Felt Play Food


About a month ago some girls on a discussion forum I participate on started talking about felt food.  They were doing a "Felt Food Exchange".  I didn't join in.  I couldn't figure out what the craze was all about, but after 3 weeks of being on maternity leave, I had to see what it was all about.  Of course, Pinterest was a great resource to investigate this.  Then, a friend gave little Lucy a hand-me-down play kitchen last weekbut we had no play food to stock it with.  I figured I would give felt food production a shot.  After $6 worth of felt, some batting I already had, and one afternoon of sewing, I ended up with the above stock of felt food items and quite a bit of left over felt.  I made two main dishes- breakfast and a sandwich.  Not everything turned out how I expected, which is why there are no bread slices and the waffles aren't exactly how I wanted them to look.  I ran out of some colors so the next day I took a trip to the craft store for more felt.
 

I love how the sandwich turned out- specifically I love the lettuce and the bacon!  Since the original production, I have also created pizza slices, peas, red pepper slices, pickle slices,  a banana, and additional tortillas.  I still plan to make broccoli, bread slices, pancakes, butter, ice cream, chips, pasta, and anything else I can come up with!

If you have a kiddo that needs play food and you have a sewing machine, then felt food is a good time investment!  It is much less expensive than the plastic or wooden store bought stuff and you can make whatever you want!

1 comment: